5 Steps to Getting Your Drivers Permit
With all of the information you need right here, we make it easy to figure out how to get your permit! First, are you 15½ or older? Then just follow the 5 easy steps to getting your permit, and get on the road!
- Complete the Stanford Driving School Driver's Education Course.
- Enroll in Behind-The-Wheel Training.
- Pass DMV Permit Exam.
- Complete Behind-The-Wheel Training.
- Pass DMV Road Test.
Complete the Driver's Education Course
Register for either the Classroom Education or Online Driver's Education Course. Our classroom education goes for four days from 9:00-4:30 with an hour for lunch. Students can attend class in any order but must attend all four days. Students are much more prepared for driving lessons when they come to our class for driver's education. The student will receive the Certificate of Education at the end of their fourth day. Too busy to attend class? We also offer an online course that is available to all California residents. You can take our course at your own pace, your own time, and in the comfort of your own home. After the completion of the Online Driver's Education course the Certificate of Education will be mailed to your home or you can pick it up at our office in Palo Alto.
Step 2 Enroll in Behind-The-Wheel Training
IMPORTANT! Don't forget to enroll for Behind-The-Wheel training, this can be done before or after you get your permit. When you enroll for driving lessons, we will schedule your first lesson. Plan Ahead.
Step 3 Pass the DMV Permit Exam
You will need to study for the DMV written permit test by reading through the DMV California Driver Handbook. It will benefit you if you take your time and study the handbook so you are comfortable with the information that will be on the test.
Make an appointment at the DMV to take the written exam.
It is important that you call ahead of time and schedule an appointment at the local DMV so you can go in and take the written test. Make sure that you are well prepared for your appointment. Most DMV's are open Mondays through Fridays until 5pm. Call ahead of time and see which date and times are best for you. The last DMV walkin test of the day is given at 4:30 PM.
What you need at the DMV office:
- DL44 application for driver's permit (requires both parents' signatures and social security number)
- Bring your driver's education certificate (blue or pink)
- Bring your original birth certificate or passport
- Once you obtain your permit you are ready for your first lesson with Stanford Driving School.
All DMV paperwork is available at Stanford Driving School.
More about DMV permit requirements...
California Driver's Handbook
Step 4 Complete Behind-The-Wheel Training
Once you pass the DMV written exam:
- You are required to take your first two hours of behind the wheel training with a professional driving instructor before driving with anyone else.
- You must further complete four (4) more hours of driving school instruction.
- Complete fifty (50) additional hours of behind the wheel training with a parent/guardian or any other adult who is 25 years old or older. The adult must have a valid California driver license and certify that you've had the 50 hours of practice. It is required that 10 of the 50 hours of training is done in the evening.
Pass the Road Test
To be eligible to take your driving test you must:
More info about the Driving Test...